Week 4 football roundup: Wolcott gets its first win of the season

Wolcott quarterback Toby Chance (9) runs to the offensive huddle with the play call during a home game against Woodland last month. The Eagles beat Wilby, 35-14, Thursday for their first win of the season.
(Copyright, Sports on CT-69, file)

When the Wolcott and Wilby football teams met on Thursday at Municipal Stadium’s Ray Snyder Sr. Field, one of them was going to come away with their first win of the season.

That turned out to be the Eagles, who defeated the Wildcats, 35-14. Wolcott improved to 1-3 while Wilby fell to 0-4.

Holy Cross and Wilcox/Kaynor were also winners in Week 4 of the high school football season. Bristol Eastern suffered its first loss of the season.

Here’s more about what happened in Week 4:


Anthony Bell broke a scoreless tie in the second quarter with a three-yard touchdown run at the 3:28 mark. Sebastian Polkowski’s extra point put the Eagles ahead, 7-0. Just over a minute later, Wolcott struck again on a 34-yard touchdown pass from Toby Chance to Jahon Rose. Another Polkowski extra point made it 14-0 with 2:11 to play until halftime.

Wilby got on the board with just 2.6 seconds left when Trenton Stevens connected with Keven Ortiz on a 28-yard touchdown pass. The two-point conversion failed, but the Wildcats were back in the game, 14-6, at halftime.

Wolcott reestablished a two-score lead when Michael McCormack ran the ball in from 10 yards out with 8:49 left in the third quarter. Polkowski’s extra point made the score 21-6. Wilby responded again when Shavar Reed toted the ball 50 yards for a score. The Wildcats made their two-point conversion this time, and the score was 21-14 at the 5:54 mark of the third quarter. A second roughing the kicker penalty of the game on the Eagles gave the Wildcats another chance, and Reed took advantage. That was as close as Wilby would get.

Wolcott busted its own big scoring run when Bell went 40 yards for a touchdown. The extra point failed, but the Eagles led the Wildcats, 27-14. McCormack scored for the second time in the game on a four-yard run with five minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Rose’s two-point conversion run tallied the final points.


The Crusaders (3-1) jumped out to a 28-0 halftime lead on the way to an easy victory over the Wildcats at Snyder Field on Saturday afternoon.

Marques Campbell scored three times, twice through the air from Drew Caouette, to lead Holy Cross. Caouette also ran for a touchdown, and Dylan Gray scored on a pass from Caouette. The Crusaders upended the Wildcats (1-3) for the third straight time.


The co-op jumped out to a two-score halftime lead, then added 13 more points in the third quarter to pull away for the shutout victory at Falcon Field in Meriden.

Malik Sanchez-Colon ran for 157 yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries to pace Wilcox/Kaynor (2-1). Xavion Saucier had the other rushing touchdown for the co-op, which ran for 268 yards on 46 attempts. On defense, Patrick Lachance had seven total tackles while Jake Williams added six. Williams and Andrew Boyle recovered fumbles, and Alex Ortiz intercepted a pass. Brady Kennedy had a forced fumble. Nicholas Barros made three of four PATs.


Jaiden Fore had a pair of touchdown runs for the Lancers, who fell to 3-1 with their first loss.

Fore scored from three yards out with 7:07 left in the first half to pull Eastern to within 7-6 of South Windsor. Fore’s two-yard touchdown run and two-point conversion run tied the game, 14-14, with 7:49 left in the third quarter in the pouring rain at Alumni Field on the Eastern campus.

Eastern was going in for the possible tying touchdown in the fourth quarter when a fumble at the one-yard line with 1:53 to play ended its comeback attempt.



Enfield 28, Bristol Central 14


Oxford 34, Kennedy 16

Ansonia 42, WCA 7

Of note: Due to adverse field conditions from all the heavy rain, St. Paul was forced to move its home game against Crosby to 4 p.m. The game is still at McPhee Field on the St. Paul campus in Bristol.